Old 21-09-2003, 11:02 PM

Default stawberries didn't produce

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 12:37:47 -0700, "Mogie"
wrote:

Planted some strawberry starts in a window box. The plants took off great we
had a few strawberries initally but then they just stopped. That was about
two months ago in late July. I kept them water well everyday and they have
good soil they are planted in. Could they just be establishing themselves
and we get the fruit next year?

I read the replies, including "have you gone mad" and your explanation
of why you can't plant in the ground.

"Window box", on the face of it sounds a bit slight (not having seen
the actual box).

If you plant in a container that is DEEP enough !!! and WIDE
enough, you should be able to replicate ground conditions to a great
extent. Make sure that your soil is very well conditioned, and I
don't mean a bag of potting mix from a nursery. (I know you said
"good soil") Use honest dirt, ameliorated with compost, worm
castings, other good stuff. Plenty of sun, judicious watering.

Good luck! Don't give up. Early this year, I planted some Sequoias
from the nursery that were on sale, had fruit on them. After that
fruit ripened, they didn't do squat for months. I was about to pull
them out when they rallied. Conjectu They may have been
hot-house; induced to bear before their time. When their season
came, they produced.

--

Wesley Clark for President
www.DraftWesleyClark.com