Old 22-09-2003, 01:37 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default Keeping snakes away

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
plat4 wrote:

Erm... 'garden' or 'garter' snakes don't occur here in Oz. I would be

*happy* to
swap you snakes, though! I have a Red Bellied Black snake in my garden

(a very
handsome fellow, about five feet long) and I live in fear that he

might bite my
dog and kill her. Are your garden/garter snakes deadly?

The only thing I've done that works is to use the garden hose on

'jet'. That
will move one snake one time. It's not a solution. I'd be glad to hear

of
others, though...

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

I am no herpetologist but have you looked at why this snake sticks
around? Do you have a particularly good environment for snakes? Do you
supply their needs for food, water or shelter?

We have them here down by the river, apparently they like creeks, ponds
and canals. I can't change the river (who would want to) so I tell
people to take care walking by it and to give the snake a chance to run
(slither?) away.

Do you have a water source that is attracting it?

See here http://www.wildlife-australia.com/red.htm for some info.

David