Old 22-09-2003, 04:12 AM
Mike Prager

Default Viburnum dieback

I planted some Viburnum x pragense (Prague viburnum) three
years ago. They have been doing OK, but not great, in our
climate. I think it's a bit too warm for them, though they
are said to do well through zone 8. They seem to be in the
only area of heavy soil on our property.

Recently, a few branches on one of the plants have wilted,
then died back. Is that within the range of normal responses
to a very wet summer? Or could this be a disease, perhaps
verticillium wilt? I have 8 or 10 viburnum species planted,
and none of the others (or anything else, for that matter) has
exhibited similar symptoms.

Pictures at

http://home.ec.rr.com/mpjr/garden/

Help will be most welcome.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove symbols from email address to reply.)