Old 22-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Mark Anderson

Default A couple of questions about winter and container gardens

I have a roof top garden in Chicago (Zone 5) that is all containers
consisting of wildflower, perennial herbs, regular flowers, and annuals.
I'm planning to start taking plants inside soon since the low temps are
dropping fast here. I have an inside area with lots of windows that will
get some sunlight and lots of indirect light during the short winter
days. Some of the plants I want to use fluorescents to supplement the
short daylight. I have some of those fancy baker shelves purchased from
Great Ace awhile ago. I'm going to situate the fluorescents very close
to the plants and have them on the timer.

Not having ever done this, I was confused about a few things. How do
annuals know they should die? If I bring them in and increase their
"daylight" will they continue growing indefinitely?

Even though sunlight is preferred, how effective is indirect light where
they don't necessarily have the sun shining directly on them they'll get
a lot of light from the blue skies? The room is very bright during the
day.

Will herbs like chives and rosemary keep growing in the winter under
lights?

And finally, if I just want to store some perennials to overwinter inside
without the aid of artificial light, do I still have to water them every
so often?