Old 22-09-2003, 10:02 AM
anita kean

Default fire ash and weeds

On 21 Sep 2003 08:12:51 -0700, simy1 wrote:
Kae Verens wrote in message ...
*warning: amateur*

I am beginning to get serious with my gardening, and trying out new
things. I grow using 4x4 raised beds, and was thinking that maybe the
pathways are a useful way of converting weeds and the ash of fireplaces
into a useful soil again?

Here is my opinion: the pH of ash is 10.4. Nothing will grow in it. I
have seen at my own place that the pH of soil is affected by how close
one is to the concrete driveway (concrete is in part lime). One foot
My wood stove produces some 100 lb of wood ash each winter, and I put
no more than a handful per 10 sq ft each year on the beds. The rest
gets spread under my best trees. In particular this year I fertilized
my old pear trees with wood ash, and they responded with a crop at
least five times larger than usual (should have thinned much more, got
millions of small pears and many broken branches). If you put 100 lb
within a small garden, nothing may ultimately grow well.

And not all plants tolerate even a small amount of ash either.
Last year I put a small handful around some tomato plants that
were about 3 foot tall and very healthy. I lost every one of
them, and the undressed ones thrived. Boohoo. Not again.

Anita