Old 22-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Sacha

Default Moles

in article , bigboard at
wrote on 22/9/03 11:27 am:

Bill Pritchard wrote:
I have read the FAQs and I'm sure this subject must crop up regularly but I
am
desperate. snip

Stick a hose down the hole. Haven't tried it, but have heard it can be
successful.

Whenever my parents had moles in their garden, the local mole man would
turn up with an old bean can full of poisoned worms. Worked every time
without fail. He was rather old, and I don't suppose his type are about
much anymore, and has probably been replaced by a man in a white van and
space suit who consistantly fails to kill any moles.

Other people I know have had success by sitting in the garden with a
shotgun, and as soon as there is any movement of a molehill, blowing the
hell out of it. This may not be an appropriate method for everyone!

Bill has the 'problem' that his wife is not in favour of exterminating the
moles but just asking them politely to pass along. ;-)
You can still get people who feed poisoned worms to moles but yes, they do
have to be licensed to do it now. We have to resort to that method
ourselves very occasionally because we're surrounded by farmland and are
regularly attacked by moles. We also put traps down as the preferred
method. Quite often, it's just one mole doing a lot of damage in a
surprisingly large area, or so the 'mole men' have always told me.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)