Old 22-09-2003, 02:02 PM
animaux

Default quackery or true

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 08:58:35 -0700, "Mogie"
opined:

Disclaimer: I was curious so I read some stuff by Jerry Baker.

Is it true that adding table sugar to fertilizer is good for a plant. He
suggested boring a hole in the ground and pouring the mixture into that.

Is he for real?

Sugar is a good source of carbohydrates which soil organisms thrive on. When I
have a problem with my soil, I've used sugar to top dress the lawn. It's not a
bad thing to do, but I wouldn't put the sugar (carbon) with fertilizer (probably
way too high in nitrogen) together. It could heat up and destroy soil
organisms, or burn roots.

I would say to stay away from his many ridiculous claims. They are not good
recommendations for sustaining soils or biota. He is mostly interested in
appearance of plants, not much in what's happening in the soil.

IMO of course.