Old 22-09-2003, 02:02 PM
animaux

Default Cheap trees (yeas and boos)

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 18:06:40 GMT, Sandy Beotches opined:

That was pretty much my understanding. If they had had a Texas
Pistache, I would have snagged it instead, but I love the other Chinese
Pistache we have, so that was my first choice of the selection available.

Normally I prefer to get the smallest plant available and nurture it,
but with oak wilt continuing to kill off our live oaks, plus me killing
off the $%#&* paper mulberries, if I can 'cheat' and get 'new' mature
trees a few years earlier, it's worth the extra bux. Our acre doesn't
have the lovely bottomland dirt you've described, so it takes a little
longer for trees to get going here in Oak Hill.

Have you tried Chinkapin oak? I may have spelled it wrong, but I know it's a
moderate grower, native and more resistant of oak wilt.

I dread wilt spreading here. We have live oaks with diameters of 3-4 feet, one
is at least 4 feet. If we lost that, wow.

I would (infor for the sake of others) stay away from Chinese tallow, and silver
maple. Those two definitely do not belong here.

Hope your pistache is a good one. They are very well adapted to our climate and
soils...even shallow.