Old 22-09-2003, 02:02 PM
animaux

Default Cheap trees (yeas and boos)

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 18:39:43 +0000 (UTC), (Victor M.
Martinez) opined:

You might consider that more often than not, you really don't get those
"few years" if you buy a larger tree. Large trees tend to suffer a worse
transplant shock and take a year or two to recover. Whereas smaller trees
get going right away.
Two years ago (or was it three?) we planted one 5 gallon lacey oak and one
1 gallon at the same time. The 1 gallon went from being a rather puny 3' twig
to being a beautiful young tree about 6 feet tall. The 5 gallon hasn't grown
more than a few inches and is now shorter than the other tree.

As usual, YMMV.

If this means anything, my experience is exactly the same. Particularly with
redbud trees.