Old 22-09-2003, 05:02 PM

Default new lawn splotchy, coming up weeds

"rci" wrote:
We just planted a new lawn 8-9 days ago. We're just barely starting to
see the peach fuzz that lets me know the lawn is coming up. I have a few
concerns though:

1. The grass seems pretty splotchy. We're in Seattle and have had a lot
of rain this last week which washed a lot of the seed around the yard, so
the lawn is thick in some place, sparse in others and simply non-existant
in others.

2. There are a lot of weeds coming is as well. I'm not sure what kind of
weed--they're only about as far along as the grass. Right now they just
have two tiny round leaves, almost like a two-leaved clover.

So, I've been considering options, and I would love some advice. These
are my thoughts:

1. I could reseed where needed, give the grass a month or two, and if
necessary spray with a broad-leaf weed killer. Can I do something about
the weeds now, before I re-seed?

Just go ahead and overseed the thin area's ASAP. Don't use -any- weed
control products while you are seeding. You can treat the weeds after
you've mowed the new turf three four times.

2. I could kill the whole thing and lay sod (we just priced it and is
within our budget). If I go this route, do I need to kill the existing
grass/weeds? I'm assuming I do. What's the best way to do that?

3. Any other suggestions would be great too.

Thanks for your help.

Robby

Depending on how much growth you have, you could possibly sod right over
it, If it seems like there is too much growth, spray roundup on it, wait a
week, strip it and sod it.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
50 GB/Month