Old 22-09-2003, 09:14 PM
Jim W

Default AEONIUM - safe outside in our climate?

Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:05:54 +0100, "Cynthia Snowden"
wrote:

On a recent holiday in The Scillies I purchased a 'black' Aeonium from a
garden stall - there was no-one around to ask advice. The Aeonium seems to
be a popular garden plant in the Scillies and I am hoping that it will
thrive here in North Devon. Is it OK for me to plant it in the garden or
should I keep it in the porch for the winter before risking putting it
outside?

I understand that one can propagate them by literally cutting off the
rosette with a couple of inches of stem and planting this cutting.
Meanwhile the original plant will develop a couple of new rosettes. At the
moment my plant just has the one rosette. Would it be advisable to 'cut off
its head' at this early stage?

Cynthia

I have three growing outside in the ground all year round, in the far
west of Cornwall. They will take a light frost for an hour or two, but
are definitely not hardy and need excellent drainage. They will branch
eventually, but if you cut off the rosette it will encourage branching
and you can root the bit you cut off. Let the wound dry over for a
couple of days before potting up though. They come very easily from
cuttings. Note that in the dull days of winter, the leaves lose a lot
of their dark colour, but recover it again as summer approaches.

Hey there Chris.. just wanted to say that those cuttings that you did
me are doing well.. I did repropagate from the currings you sent me so
now have duplicates.. The A. balsalmiferum is particularly sweet isn't
it.. Amazing.

BTW waht did you use to pot them up in? A very gritty grey compost it
looked? Local soil mixed with something?

Passiflora are doing well also;-)
//
Jim