Old 23-09-2003, 12:15 AM
Michael Berridge

Default another leylandii question

Kay Easton wrote in message
You are overstating. There are many well maintained lleylandii round

our
area. It is wrong to say 'this rarely happens'.

I'm sorry you have had a bad experience. But just because you have had

bad experience doesn't mean to say everyone should be banned from

having
leylandii.

Perhaps but it is often the fact that the original owner keeps it under
control, then the house is sold, and the new owners may not know the
potential problems with leylandii, and let it grow for a season without
trimming it because they are too busy with the house, then you have a
hedge that has grown 4 feet, and is becoming a nuisance. Also leylandii
is very unforgiving for novices, and it can easily be cut back too far,
thus causing a hedge with brown sides, instead of the green. Almost all
other hedges will take very severe trimming with no ill effect, and
some even relish that.

When I moved into my house it had 20, 30ft+ leylandii round its
boundary, the ones in the front I am not allowed to remove, but have had
them cut down at considerable expense. The rest I cut down.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk