Old 23-09-2003, 12:16 AM
Cynthia Snowden

Default AEONIUM - safe outside in our climate?

Yes, Sacha, we visited Tresco Gardens which is where we were introduced to
the Aeoniums - they were fantastic - the gardens and the aeoniums - and we
were so lucky with the weather.

Cynthia

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , Cynthia Snowden

at
wrote on 20/9/03 11:05 pm:

On a recent holiday in The Scillies I purchased a 'black' Aeonium from a
garden stall - there was no-one around to ask advice. The Aeonium seems

be a popular garden plant in the Scillies and I am hoping that it will
thrive here in North Devon. Is it OK for me to plant it in the garden

or
should I keep it in the porch for the winter before risking putting it
outside?

I understand that one can propagate them by literally cutting off the
rosette with a couple of inches of stem and planting this cutting.
Meanwhile the original plant will develop a couple of new rosettes. At

the
moment my plant just has the one rosette. Would it be advisable to 'cut

off
its head' at this early stage?

Cynthia

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

The Aeoniums are wonderful there, aren't they? Were you on Tresco? My
husband has had several from there and our Nursery is in S Devon, though
close to Dartmoor. He thinks you'd have to be very lucky to be sure of
getting one through the winter. He says that you could try propagating it
by taking off the present head and potting it up in well-drained compost,
mixed with sharp sand. Leave at least a couple of inches of the old stem
behind with its leaves, though.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk