Old 23-09-2003, 01:42 AM
anne

Default another leylandii question

ned wrote in message
Michael Berridge wrote:
Sad Sid wrote in message ...
My neighbour to the West has a "traditional" mixed hedge which he

is
forever
trimming. Despite this it is full of bramble, bindweed and

nettle.

Which is the more wildlife friendly I wonder? ;-)

The unsightly mess, without a doubt. Slugs, in particular, live
there in vast numbers.

They may very well live there, but then so also will their

predators,
Leylandii has little going for it for wildlife ........

.............. That's a bit of a sweeping statement. Every environment
will provide a niche for some of nature's enterprising species. The
Juniper Shield bug favours leylandii, feeding off smaller insects
which colonise the bark. If you ever wonder where the ladybirds have
gone, have a look in the top of leylandii. I'm sure they are not just
sun bathing!!
And my leylandii do not grow in isolation. They have there own diverse
under brush, just like other hedges.
There is room for every species. Even the midge. Although some
'naturists' might have a bias against that, as well. ;-)

--
ned

LOL sorry had to laugh :-)