Old 23-09-2003, 04:26 AM
Die Spammer !!!

Default new lawn splotchy, coming up weeds

I just redid my lawn too about 3 months ago. Just like you. Not sure if you
tilled but I tilled etc etc etc.. After seeding, I saw alot of the clover
weeds you see. I asked my nursery about it and they said I can use the
broadleaf weed killer that I already had. Once your lawn fills in and thickens
up, the clover weeds will die out... with the help of the weed killer. Also, I
have been using some manure compost mix from a place called The Bark Place. The
manure mix will cover the seed to help keep it moist. So keep reseeding and
putting down a thin layer of compost. Give the reseeded areas a good month to
show signs of regrowth. Depending on where you are, you dont have much time left
to reseed. after your first or second mow job, you can started putting down
some new grass fertilizer. I just put down some Ferti-lome lawn food last week.

Make absolutely sure that when you water the newly seeded areas, that you only
use a fine mist to keep the groud moist. It's easy to ruin the way the seed
cover is layed out. I have found out that 4 - 5 days of keeping the seed cover
moist will show signs of regrowth here is the pacific northwest. October is
supposed to be the last month to put down seed. New seed here dont like
temperatures below 60-50.

So be patient. Give your lawn a few more weeks. before reseeding. I think 5
seeds per square inch is good for a decent think lawn. Some seeds dont grow so
putting down more alot of seed is good for results.

Also if you tilled the soil you wont want anything, I mean anything on the new
lawn for a while. You dont want to make divits /footprints in the soil. The more
traffic, the more grass gets kills. Got pets ? keep them off the lawn, they
will kill it for sure with the urine...

..

..

rci wrote:

We just planted a new lawn 8-9 days ago. We're just barely starting to see
the peach fuzz that lets me know the lawn is coming up. I have a few
concerns though:

1. The grass seems pretty splotchy. We're in Seattle and have had a lot of
rain this last week which washed a lot of the seed around the yard, so the
lawn is thick in some place, sparse in others and simply non-existant in
others.

2. There are a lot of weeds coming is as well. I'm not sure what kind of
weed--they're only about as far along as the grass. Right now they just
have two tiny round leaves, almost like a two-leaved clover.

So, I've been considering options, and I would love some advice. These are
my thoughts:

1. I could reseed where needed, give the grass a month or two, and if
necessary spray with a broad-leaf weed killer. Can I do something about the
weeds now, before I re-seed?

2. I could kill the whole thing and lay sod (we just priced it and is within
our budget). If I go this route, do I need to kill the existing
grass/weeds? I'm assuming I do. What's the best way to do that?

3. Any other suggestions would be great too.

Thanks for your help.

Robby