Old 23-09-2003, 08:22 AM
David @chapellllhouse.demon.co.uk

Default another leylandii question

In article , PK
writes
David @chapelllhouse.demon.co.uk wrote:

In my opinion Leylandii are nothing to look at and I suppose people
buy them as a cheap option.

No its the fast growth that attracts them, they're not particularly
cheap as "hedging" plants go and FWIW I like the effect especially in
winter when everything else is brown.

Struggling a bit there aren't you?

1. they are a very cheap way of getting a quick hedge from small plants. And
size for size are much cheaper than other hedge plants as semi mature
specimens.

I stand by my statement that people buy them for the fast growth not
because they're cheap and besides, mixed British you can grow from
cuttings, you can't get cheaper than that surely so my other assurance
about them not being particularly cheap stands as well, its you that has
mentioned size for size.

2. Everything else is brown? Gosh it must be cold in your part of the
country if yew, holly, laurel, and all the other less aggressively growing
conifers go brown and only leylandii stays green.

It was a general statement Paul, but I suppose if you're inclined we
could list everything that doesn't brown in winter...
--
David