Old 23-09-2003, 10:06 AM
Martin Sykes

Default Agricultural grist??

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Are you sure that it wasn't horticultural grit? That is very coarse
sand.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

It's definitely some form of seed, or seed and seed husk. Just doesn't
seem to sprout as reliably as "normal" grass seed, but at 15 quid for a
25 kilo sack, I don't expect miracles. Just curious as what differs
between it and normal seed and why they say not for sowing.

--
Best Regards,
Chris.

It looks like the definition of grist is grain that 'has been or is intended
to be ground'. I'd guess that your seed has been roughly ground to stop it
germinating so that it remains viable as animal feed for longer. Presumably
the grinding is imperfect so some survives and will still germinate.It
doesn't explain why its so much cheaper than unground seed though unless
it's such poor quality that it's no good for anything else. ( or maybe the
grower gets some sort of subsidy for producing animal feed? )

--
Martin & Anna Sykes