Old 23-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Peter and Susan

Default Gold Coast Gardeners?

Anthony (Tony) Cameron wrote in message
newsrvvmvcpsq9o288uqufomv55qqkl0v8054@primus...
Are there any other Gold Coast gardeners here?

Yup!

I would be interested in discussing techniques for garden survival in
the face of the Gold Coast's very severe water restrictions. I have
already lost a great deal of my existing landscaping, trees, shrubs
etc. The lawn went a year ago.

Like you, most of the lawns in my area went belly up sometime early Autumn
(remember we did get some rain at the beginning of the year). The yards
which seem to have survived best are those who planted low-maintence mostly
native gardens have done better than others.

As for me, my garden is mostly still intact (although it needs a damn good
weed). Some of the understory plantings have died off a bit, although I
think its more due to age and neglect. My 'dearly beloved' can be a rabid
pruner when he gets hold of the prunning shears. I also admit I don't water
(even when we have no water restrictions).

I've lived on the Gold Coast for a long time. I remember the last severe
drought in the early 70s when we couldn't use outside taps and all car
washes at servos had to be shut off. I recall my mother bucketing left over
washing water out touse on her garden. At least this time the council gave
us the opportunity to spring clean for one day. Nice to have a clean car for
once.

Susan
Elanora