Old 23-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Steve Wolfinger

Default [IBC] pruning priciples

I have a japanese maple (acer palmatum) with a two foot branch that has
been growing all summer. Im looking at it and thinking the base is reaching
a nice thickness for cut back next spring. the first four inches or so has
no leaves or buds. and i know they say that buds will sprout from the
cambium no matter where you cut a branch after the branch is about 2 or 3
years old. Im afraid to cut back and lose the branch and have it sprout
from the base. I did notice however that there is a thin brown band around
the branch at about a half an inch out from the trunk. Is this band a
landmark of some kind?? is this where dormant buds lie? could i cut back to
this and expect some burst? or should i cut back in steps.. ecouraging back
budding??

thanks... steve harrisburg/lancaster PA

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++