Old 23-09-2003, 08:02 PM
bp100a

Default Lighting requirements

I'm curious about the "2 watts per gallon" rule.

First, different lighting technologies produce significantly different
amounts of lights (lumens) per watt. So how can there be a simple rule like
"2 watts/ gallon"???

Right now I have 3 x 55 watt CF on a 75 gallon tank. This works out to the
"2 watts/gallon" rule, and in practice the plants grow quite well (what the
Tiger Oscars don't dig up).

I'm setting up a 38 gallon tank for my daughter's classroom. I have some 20
watt flourescent bulbs (the kind that comes with tank setup). I'm interested
in how these compare with CF lights in terms of lumens/watt and how the "2
watts/gallon" rule applies.

/harry