Old 23-09-2003, 09:02 PM
ajr

Default ripening chillis

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
ajr wrote:

| My jalapino chillis are beginning to ripen now. One red one almost

ready
| for picking.
|
| All outside plants.

My Thai Dragon have been ready for some time, and are now almost
all reddening up. Curiously, the outside ones are further ahead
than the ones in the polytunnel.

Roughly half of mine are now ripe, however when I tried a few the other

day
they were not very hot.

What variety? They won't get very hot in the UK, anyway, but some
seem better than others. My attempt at habanero was a disaster;
they cropped miserably, got mould, tasted of nothing much and weren't
even hot. But I don't think much of habanero anyway.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sorry Nick, I don't know the exact name - I'll have a look at the label
tommorow. They are small, a bit like a plump version of the birds eye (?)
variety.

I was expecting them to be hot this year, as the plant is positioned in a
'sun trap' and, as I'm sure you know, it has been hot most days since
June/July. Last year when the weather was a lot milder they were a lot
'warmer' - not hot, hot - but very peppery. This year, however, they are
VERY bland.

Cheers,

Andrew