Old 23-09-2003, 11:29 PM
Diane M.

Default READ THIS ,spam mail off the newsgroup

yes its active- I guess I'd be deleting more if I had not. Its just that I
know we are being watched, and unlike email, the newsgroup is out there for
everyone to see your name and address. Not necessary. If we want to email
each other it will be easy enough to share this info.
honestly I can't see how a lot of this gets past the ISP, Some are really
raunchy. If made into a paragraph what I have in my message rules...It
might be reported for content. Frankly the only 4 inches I might want to
grow is hair

I have these messages being forwarded to the ISP as instructed- If every
customer did this, the server would have a real problem.
current status 0 in inbox 40 deleted

"Ted Byers" wrote in message
.. .

"Diane M." wrote in message
t...
ok group- I've taken out my ISP from these messages, not fair- I like
getting legitimate mail. Not much is in my email these days- most is in

the
automatically deleted file. Diane

Have you checked with your ISP to see if they offer antispam services? I
did, and enabled it around noon today (I had thought it was already

active,
but somehow, when I checked today, it was turned off on my account). My

ISP
provides it free, presumably because of their concerns about efficient use
of their email server and bandwidth. Their antispam service can catch the
spam before it hits the server so your account never sees it unless you
configure your account so that trapped spam is saved in a folder on the
server so you can examine it before it is trashed. Before noon, today
alone, I had received about 500 messages (with a total approximately 5000
since Thursday). Since noon, I have had about a dozen. While it isn't
perfect, it is a dramatic improvement. But it will likely take some
diligence since these modern worms and viruses try to shut down any

security
related software they can see, should they get a chance to run; so, if I

see
a sudden increase in spam, I'll be checking this first.

HTH

Ted