Old 23-09-2003, 11:47 PM
Steve

Default Fruit tree girdled

Sherwin Dubren wrote:
If you have sprouts, you can use them to
make the bridge.

Didn't cut them off, but they are very thin. Don't you need something
more like
about 1/2 diameter or more?

No, 1/2 half inch would be way too big. They would be too stiff to hold
them tight where they need to be. If they are tall enough to reach
above the damaged area, that is all you need. They will get thicker very
fast after they attach to the main tree! (but maybe not until next summer)
Sprouts are great because you only have to graft the upper end. The
lower end already has a perfect connection to the roots. That makes
success much more likely.
I would get out there and graft one or 2 of them this week. Save one or
2 for next spring. (not sure how many you have) The roots have been
starving all summer with no food coming down from above. Grafting now
might be the difference between life and death.
I've never waited until fall myself, so that's why I say you might save
one or 2 for next spring, just in case.
Make sure the upper end of the sprout gets grafted into live bark. The
bark may be alive right above the girdled area but you can tuck the
graft in some inches higher if needed.

Do the graft just about the time the tree will begin growth.

Is that before blossom set?

That is before anything green starts to show. When the buds are swelling.

However, I am worried that it may recover on it's own, and

messing around
with bridge grafts may worsen the situation.

No, not a chance. If it is girdled all the way around, it will die. You
need to restore a connection to the roots to have any chance of saving
the tree.
If there is a small bit of bark still connecting top and bottom, it
could recover but the tree will be stunted for years. I would still do
the grafting to connect more of the tree.

Steve