Old 24-09-2003, 12:37 AM
Anthony (Tony) Cameron

Default Gold Coast Gardeners?

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 04:46:43 +1000, len gardener
wrote:

g'day tony,

don't think you have to live on the gold coast to experience that
problem in drought conditions, pity yuor council allowed for that
excess drinking water to be used of late for a spring clean of the g/c
your water reserve was already low.

Yes, I am aware that the drought extends to many other areas but our
council is a bit less prepared than many. They are very bloody minded
and illogical about many things. I have a waterfront property, river,
not canal, and they have attempted to tell me that I cannot pump water
from the river although there is no dam, or agricultural demand on the
water between me and the sea. I have been told, and am exploring the
matter, that they have no authority in that area, and that I can get a
state Government license to pump water. If I can, that will solve my
problems but not the community's unfortunately.

yep let the lawn go or turn it into gardens, gardens take less water
to keep them going, the things to do; heavily mulch around all your
plants use mulch hay or straw. start using your gray water especially
from the bathroom and laundry, you'll find that in most cases you can
get a clean wash with 1/2 the washing powder recommended and then use
earth friendly products.

The Gold Coast Council in its infinite lack of wisdom has banned the
use of grey water. They must be the only council to do so, but there
is a heavy penalty in force if you are caught. I have spoken to Daphne
MacDonald and Michael May regarding the matter and they are adamant.
No grey water. Daphne MacDonald is the councilor in charge of Gold
Coast Water. As for the rest, I do mulch and have planted a lot more
trees and shrubs and am looking at other forms of ground cover. I am
putting in some large areas of decking and in front I intend to pave
and place a lot of large tubs and pot plants. You can still legally
water those.

we have used gray water for years even in the burbs, we had a high set
house i fitted a diverter to the bath outlet and we used to pump the
laundry water to the gardens. if you want to take it one step further
instead of using good drinking water to flush urine (water) away use a
wee bucket then mix that with water each day and water the gardens
with that, this is great on vege' gardens

Yes, well, um... er... yes, well that is...

take care

len

Thanks Len

Tony