Old 24-09-2003, 10:22 AM

Default Chainsaw training

Rod wrote:

"Nick Upson" wrote in message ...
I'm considering being trained for occasional general chainsaw use.
I'm in the St Neots area, recommendations/suggestions for training courses
please

Local Land Based College is the place, expensive if you can't get somebody else to pay but cheap in relation to the
inconvenience caused by chainsaw injuries. Just do it. The course doesn't just do health and safety stuff - you
will learn how to use the saw effectively *and* safely as well as basic sharpening and maintenance. The 1 week
course which includes felling trees with dia up to guide bar length is fairly tough for anyone with no experience
at all so better to prepare beforehand. I teach newbies the basics and then send them out to work with our
foresters for a few days if I can, this also gives them the chance to watch skilled people working on bigger trees
and see the degree of control they can achieve.

The trouble is that what an 'amateur' really wants is the bit you're
doing *before* sending people on the training course.

--
Chris Green )