Old 24-09-2003, 02:42 PM
John B.

Default Preparation and storage - small engine for long periods

I've searched for other newsgroups surrounding care small engines, and this
was the only area that I was able to find that discusses a few small engine
issues. If there is another newsgroup area for this type of question, I will
gladly post it there.

I have a small gasoline engine generator that I use for electricity during
outage emergencies. I've read various suggestions towards storing it for
long periods of time. A couple of items seem to make sense like:

1. Adding a good fuel stabilizer to the gasoline.
2. Removing the spark plugs, spraying a little WD-40 inside the cylinders,
and then place the spark plugs back in after each use.
3. Running the generator for a short period of time every few months.

My question concerns more towards the carburetor:

1. How can I reduce the amount of problems associated with the carburetor,
such as gum and resin build-up, diaphragms and gasket dry rotting? I've only
heard that I should run out the gas going to the carb (but keep the gas tank
full), and that I should spray a little WD-40 into the carb. Yes, no, or
other suggestions?

2. Is there any other suggestions that I should do or think about regarding
the long term storage of the engine or generator?

Thanks.
John

--
Change [comcast.non] to [comcast.net]