Old 24-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Chris Hogg

Default AEONIUM - safe outside in our climate?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:07:38 +0100,
(Jim W) wrote:

Hey there Chris.. just wanted to say that those cuttings that you did
me are doing well.. I did repropagate from the currings you sent me so
now have duplicates.. The A. balsalmiferum is particularly sweet isn't
it.. Amazing.

BTW waht did you use to pot them up in? A very gritty grey compost it
looked? Local soil mixed with something?

Passiflora are doing well also;-)
//
Jim

Hi Jim,

The compost was 3 parts gritty sand, 1 part peat and 1 part garden
soil. I use waste sand from the china clay industry in mid-cornwall,
which is white/grey. They produce about 20 million tons per year and
have to stockpile most of it! I help out where I can :-).

Actually, I find that mix a bit lean for most things except perhaps my
proteas, and it does pack rather densely, probably because the sand
has a lot of fine grains in it and not really enough grit. Two parts
of that sand would probably be more than enough. I'm tending to use
1 gritty sand:1 perlite:1 peat:1 soil now. Outside, the aeoniums are
in ordinary garden soil with a lot of extra sand dug in.

Eden apparently use a mix of 2 parts of similar sand to 1 part
compost, with minor additions of clay or shredded bark as needed. This
is actually a bit higher in sand than my original mix if you equate my
soil/peat mix to their compost. However, I suspect that their use of
all compost gives a more open texture.

Glad to hear the others are all doing well. A. balsamiferum smells
wonderful when you're out in the garden and the sun is on it (if you
like the smell of balsam, that is). Your Passiflora is also thriving.

--
Chris