Old 24-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Dave Millman

Default plants - how now?

Arnim wrote:

I've come
across several packages offered by online aquatic plant vendors, with one of
them really standing out as being not only a good deal but quality goods
(azgardens). I've also looked at the big online pet supply distributor as
well as my LFS (which is very good) and the PetSmart has live plants -
although their fish aren't any good so why would I believe the plants are
any better? Anyway, I'm leery of the online package just because of the
shipping as well as not seeing what you are getting, imagining small
weakling plants. The DFS warehouse online really doesn't have much of a
selection. Forget PetSmart, My LFS has the real thing but it's pretty
expensive. It would be really nice to get the package online if I were a
little more trusting of it. It would also get my tank pretty well stocked
in one fell swoop. Plus the package is exactly what I'm looking for with
all the plants indigenous to the same place the fish are from... Any
advice?

A counter opinion:

AZ Gardens will treat you right. You will save money, today.

But how would you like to get all of your aquarium supplies free, forever? It's
pretty easy, many of us here do it. How? Your "very good" LFS.

Buy the plants there. Ask their advice, particularly about your local water
supply (ours has 40ppm Nitrate out of the tap 6 months out of the year.) Then
discuss what terms they will offer for your cuttings.

Here's the math: Cuttings from my 72 gallon tank produce $10-20 in credit PER
WEEK at the LFS. Even though store credit sucks because it forces me to buy
slightly overpriced supplies, WHO CARES? EVEYTHING IS FREE!!!!

Here's what I get free:

* Flourish
* Flourish Potassium
* Flourish Iron
* Prime dechlorinator
* Kent RO Right
* Dry food
* Frozen food
* Live food
* Fish
* Gadgets I don't need

Get the picture? A "very Good" LFS is a priceless resource. Support it, and get
FREE FISH STUFF FOREVER!!!!!