Old 24-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default ripening chillis

The message

Jalapenos? They are scarcely hotter than many "sweet" peppers!

Yes, I can imagine variation within them - there is a chance that
the commercial strains have been bred for the wimpish USA market.

Mine came from seeds of some we milled - well, some which fell on the
floor and weren't milled - and they are hot. I collected a bag of them,
froze some and dried some. The seeds came from the dried ones....

Most of the imported stuff we froze (I don't work there any longer) came
from Thailand, but I rather think these were from somewhere in Europe as
they were fresh when we received them. The Thai stuff always came
frozen.

When we milled Scotch Bonnets everyone in the factory had to wear
full-face masks - and it was quite a big factory! We never milled those
for more than quarter of a day.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk