Old 24-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default OT perhaps, but please identify amphibian or reptile

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:
In article , Joe
writes
Hi

Thanks for your interest. I came across an unusual garden visitor last
night (22 Sept) and I am unable to identify it through any of my books.
It looks like a gecko, but I don't think there are any indigenous gecko
species in Britain. I guess it must be a newt, but is it?

Yes.

Female smooth newt. Males are darker and have a more orange spotted
belly. In the spring, when they are in randy mode, they are black, with
a prominent crest and a bright orange belly. Very handsome. The females
look much the same all year round.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk