Old 24-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Robin Ellzey

Default Should I fill hole in tree?

I would put the concrete in the hole. It will make the pears a little harder.

"Ted S." wrote in message ...
Hurricane Isabel left a huge branch from my Bradford Pear on the front lawn.
I know these trees are prone to wind damage and it sure was damaged. A
fairly deep wound (like a deep pocket) now exists and I'm not sure what to
do. I sprayed some insect spray on it to discourage insects from moving in
and added some brown spray paint to 'seal' the wood a little. (Anyone
cringing yet?) Hey, if it's a goner, it's fate. But I want to give it a
little chance and am mostly worried about water collecting in there and rot
starting.

Is there anything made to fill the hole? Cement perhaps? (NOW I see the
eyebrows going up!) I don't want to spend money for a tree doctor since
this wasn't the best choice for a streetside tree anyway. The shallow roots
are lifting the sidewalk.

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks. Ted