Old 24-09-2003, 10:22 PM
Aisha

Default Organic Fire Ant Control that Works

The D-limonene (citrus) oil and hot water mound drench was not working. I
had over ten mounds in my yard now. The ants were coming into the house
looking for cat food, so the food bowl has to be placed in a plate of water
to keep them away! Luckily, there are some new organic methods for
broadcast fire ant bait that need to be applied IN THE FALL (temperatures
are cooler, but above 65* F) to be effective.

The products of fermentation of soil actionmycete Saccaropolyspora spinosa
(spinosads) is a fast acting fire ant bait. Brands include Eliminator,
Justice, Penn-Kill, Strike, Maxide. Ortho has a product with .15% spinosads
called Ortho Fire Ant Killer Bait Granules available at Wal-Mart. Read the
label to make sure you get the right one...remember the word SPIN.

I applied four tablespoons per mound and the ants died within three days!

Three gallons of boiling water is good for individual mounds. I suspect
using the D-limonene (brand name Citrex) with boiling water would be even
more effective. I was just using hot water and only one gallon per mound.