Old 25-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Diane M.

Default Going on vacation - crazy?

Crystal,

This subject of mounted plants was on my mind also- just getting too busy
some days and forgetting to mist. So I was thinking of loosely wrapping
plastic wrap on the mounts- creating a "potted" plant and holding in more
moisture. With hanging my plants it gets time consuming to take them down
for their dip.

What do you think- it would work for a few days anyway.

Diane

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
This is in part a test, as I tried to follow the directions for
"bot-proofing" my address -- if I did it right, you won't be able to use

the
Reply function any more, you'll either have to reply to the group or

remove
the "nospam" to send me a private email.

But in answer to the question: we've never grown anything that couldn't

go
a week or more on its own, whether mounted or potted. [We grow LOTS of
catts, dens, oncids, phals, vandaceous, a few paphs and a smattering of
oddballs -- but nothing leafless, so I can't speak directly to those.] If
your plant-sitter is a "novice" [and perhaps it's me, or maybe your
nervousness showing, but I'm reading "complete idiot" as something you

meant
but were too polite to say], and you are not going to be gone more than

5-7
days, I think you'd be better off just giving everything a good soak

before
you leave and another upon your return, rather than risk the attentions of
the "novice." A dehydrated plant can generally be cured by a good soak or
2; other problems can be harder to cure.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"House of Paisley" wrote in message
Okay... I'm nervous witless. My husband and I will be planning
to go to a wedding out of state, and I'll need someone to come
in and kill... er - sit my plants. I think most things will be okay
for a couple of days, but am very worried about my mounts,
which have gotten bigger in numbers. Since I don't have a green
house- only a sunroom I'm thinking of rigging a rack in the
bathroom and just having them come in a steam the room up
for a little while. If I did have a greenhouse I think I would be
nervous the place would stay too wet. The person would be
a complete novice. Do you think if they did that twice a day
they could survive for a couple of days? Most concerning are
the two leafless species, and wonder if it would be better to
have them boarded. Any ideas?

Crystal ---- who thought it was rough having to figure
arrangements for house rabbits.

--