Old 25-09-2003, 02:25 AM
Peter Jason

Default Flora of the Dead Sea.

I remember seeing photos of mine-tailing dumps in North England covered
with grasses which had adapted to the high mineral content.
With more rain the plants around the dead sea might accomodate the salt.

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
Is it a barren salt pool or does it enjoy a unique flora which is

salt -
resistant?

There are no plants in or right next to the Dead Sea. Israel does have

some
salt resistant plants, but they grow elsewhere, either near brackish
underground water or on the Mediterranean coast. Find out why Abraham

planted a
tamarisk in Beersheba. Read Tree and Shrub in our Biblical Heritage, by

Nogah
Hareuveni.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40