Old 25-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default What causes strange damage to Tree Bark

In article ,
(Mark Phillips) writes:

| We recently spent our holiday near Antibes on the Cote D'Azur. One
| day one of us noticed that many of the tree trunks were patterned in a
| way similar to military style camouflage fabric. On subsequent days
| we began to take note that wherever we went in the region, the trees
| had the same pattern and on closer examination we decided that
| something is eating away at the various layers of bark to create this
| effect. It is my opinion that it is probably caused by insect lavae
| or such like. If you would like to see this I've posted a picture on:

Well, your larger image doesn't appear to work, but that doesn't look
like damage to me. Quite a few trees' bark flakes off in that way
and, depending on the age of the bark, its surface colouring varies.
Sycamores do, so I would bet on it being some kind of a maple and the
flaking being normal.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.