Old 25-09-2003, 02:02 PM
animaux

Default HELP! - Can't Keep St. Augustine Grass Alive

I don't do the same thing over and over expecting different results. If the
turf does not do well there, why don't you remove it and plant a tree or palm,
or a cycad or some other specimen which will do well there?

In Texas where I live, it is hot and humid much like Floridia summers. When a
plant doesn't make it, I don't use it again. It means to me the plant does not
like those conditions. It's far less work to tend a tree or specimen, than
turf, anyway.

Victoria

On 24 Sep 2003 18:56:51 -0700, (Jim Burns) opined:

I am at wit's end with my St. Augustine (Floratam) lawn. The same
areas gradually die out every year. I have taken samples into my
Florida county extension office and the results have been root rot
and/or fungus. Twice I have totally removed the dead grass, loosened
the soil 6" deep, mixed in organic matter, and resodded. The first
week I watered twice a day, the second week once a day, and every few
days thereafter when the grass showed signs of wilting. It has been a
couple months since the last resodding, and about 1/4 of the new sod
appears dead. It looks like it never took root. I applied Scotts
MaxGuard (fertilizer plus insecticide) a couple weeks after I laid the
sod and have also applied Scotts Lawn Fungus Control twice. The areas
that die are in mostly sun.

Thanks,
Jim