Old 25-09-2003, 11:34 PM
Gen

Default Gold Coast Gardeners?

Anthony (Tony) Cameron wrote:

Are there any other Gold Coast gardeners here?

I would be interested in discussing techniques for garden survival in
the face of the Gold Coast's very severe water restrictions. I have
already lost a great deal of my existing landscaping, trees, shrubs
etc. The lawn went a year ago.

Tony

Hi, I am just next door on the Tweed. We are much better off water
wise,thanks to a large catchment area.
However, during last year's drought I revised/reviewed my water usage.
HOUSEHOLD WATER: reuse it instead of it going down the plug hole. 3
litre icecream containers in each basin for collecting water from hand
washing, dish rinsing etc.....decant into a bucket,use wherever in the
garden. 3 litre milk container to collect "warming" water while
running tap for the washing up. Shower: bucket for collecting "warming
"water.
LAUNDRY WATER: with no phosphorous detergent (Greencare liquid) Bucket
or divert the rinse water to the garden. I adapted my wheelie bin with
a hole on theside at the base, fittings from Bunnings and attached to
the hose to dribble wherever. (I have a front loader and the water
half fills the wheelie bin)
LAWN: I destroyed the grass, covered it with layers of newspaper and
the 10cm of cane mulch($3.50 a bale at Tumbulgum). It took 48 bales.
GARDEN: Aqua spikes (bright orange) from Bunnings inserted in soil
near the roots, 2 or 3 litre milk containers inverted on top, pour
the water in...goes straight to the roots.