Old 26-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Frank Logullo

Default OT- Generators

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Dwight Sipler" wrote in message
Louis Ohland wrote:

However, waiting a week is not likely to be long enough. Once all the
generators are snapped up in an area it's likely to be a couple of
months before you can find what you want. This should be considered a
long term plan so don't rush into it and just buy the first thing that's
available.

HD in my area is featuring a high end generator that runs on natural gas.
The unit can be set to fire up on a regular schedule and has
self-diagnostics. I think that if I were in an area that had frequent
outages or the potential for a prolonged outage I would consider one of
these. I can't remember a time that we lost natural gas service.

Good comments to help me zero in on solving potential future outages. I'm
sure I will not get generator
for a couple of months as region is probably sold out. I'm just aiming at
setting ball in motion by deciding system, backordering etc. Figure
salesman are backed up with requests to just talk to them. We don't have
natural gas service and house heated with oil - rest electric -well, hot
water..... Propane would be possibility if 5 gal tanks might suffice. I
already have 2 for grill. I'll have to calculate my minimum needs and
gas/propane consumption. I have ideal spot for generator but fuel storage,
particularly propane, would be a problem. I'll need enough service for well,
furnace, refrigerator and freezer and some amenities like TV. I'm not
looking for a generator to match my 200 amp service and don't want to create
more problems than the outages we have. As I've decided not to even start
inquiring for a week, any further comments are welcome.
Frank