Old 26-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Containers on a flat roof?

In article ,
Steve writes:
| We're a bit short of space in our garden, but there's a nice flat
| roof... It's the normal black type thing. It's south facing, with a
| wall behind it so it's a real sun trap. It strikes me it could be the
| ideal place to grow anything which likes it hot with full sun. I was
| thinking of chillies and tomatoes, but I'm open to other suggestions.
| They may as well be vegetables, as no one is going to see them there.

Cape gooseberries :-)

| The only thing is, will a flat roof be too hot? I imagine it could
| well be sweltering up there in the summer - the roof itself can often
| be too hot to touch in July and August. I'd probably keep the
| containers off the roof itself by resting on some timber anyway.

Chillis etc. don't mind heat if they have enough water - it won't
get THAT hot in the UK, but your timber idea is well worth while.

| Watering and access are an issue, but I can work those out. I just
| wondered if anyone had tried it and if it is such a good idea?

Yes, it is, provided that you don't overload the roof and you don't
cause leaks by damaging it or causing water to puddle. But do
watch out for that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.