Old 26-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Default Azalea bloom

Fsplink wrote:

I just had an azalea bloom this week. I think the seasons have gotten all
mixed up or something.

This is called sporting. Some azaleas are very prone to this. A group
of azaleas called Encore Azaleas have been bred to bring out this trait
and are being sold for this quality. In general it is a product of
genics that are easily fooled and a weather pattern that tricks the
plant into breaking dormancy or thinking(?) that it was dormant when it
wasn't.

The upside is that you can enjoy a little color now. The downside is
that this bud will not open again and is lost from the spring display.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman