Old 26-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Victoria Clare

Default getting rid of weeds without poisoning my tree

"Franz Heymann" wrote in
:

"Robert" wrote in message
: Hi. Has anyone got any suggestions. I bought an apple tree this
: spring and planted it. Unfortunately, there is a large amount of
: dock leave weeds around the base. I would like to get rid of them
: without posoining my tree. Any suggestions would be gratefully
: appreceiated

dig them out with a trowel is the best solution. Docks are not as bad
as a lot of perennial weeds and if you can avoid weedkillers all the
better.

I don't understand why it is all the better if one avoids weedkillers.
Roundup has to be absorbed through the leaves and it become innocuous
when it enters the soil.

Perhaps because it's a bit late in the year this year? Taking a trowel to
the roots more likely to work at this time.

Plus, (almost) everyone has a trowel, whereas you might have to go out and
buy Roundup, then find somewhere safe and dry to store what you didn't use.

Victoria