Old 26-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Rodney Pont

Default Something is taking bites out of the goldfish

Something is taking bites out of the goldfish in the pond. Two have
died and about half of the others have wounds.

We've emptied the pond and repotted all of the plants. We removed all
of the sludge when the pond was empty and sieved it to see if we could
find anything. We've washed and inspected the roots of all of the
floating plants.

We treat the pond with an anti-bacterial treatment and the fish recover
only to be bitten again. I suspected we had a big dragonfly nymph or
something but have been unable to find it.

We have about 15 goldfish from 4 to 8 inches long, one green tench
about 14 inches long and we found two frogs that we moved to the nature
pond down the garden. The pond is netted so that eliminates a Heron
attack but the fish aren't shy as they would be with a predator around.

We found hardly any of the normal bug type creatures we would expect in
a well established pond. This makes me think that something has eaten
all of them and has now started on the fish.

Any suggestions of the next step would be appreciated. We are in North
Yorkshire, UK.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail ngps07 (at) infohit (dot) fsnet (dot) co (dot) uk