Old 26-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Laurie Moseley

Default getting rid of weeds without poisoning my tree

Hi. Has anyone got any suggestions. I bought an apple tree this spring
and planted it. Unfortunately, there is a large amount of dock leave
weeds around the base. I would like to get rid of them without
posoining my tree. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreceiated

We have had some success with the following method (albeit with brambles rather
than dock). Mix your weedkiller (probably glyphosate) with some wallpaper
paste. Then paint this mixture on the leaves of the plants which you wish to
kill. It is quite easy to do this without spilling the mixture on to
surrounding plants.

It worked for us. One warning. Someone recently told me that for some reason
this is not permitted (EU directive, I think). Does anyone know whether that
warning is true, and if so what is its source?

Laurie
Laurie (Laurence) Moseley

Plus Ultra

Expert Systems, Decision-Making, Argentinian Tango & Golf