Old 26-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] using repaired pots

Craig: Are you in a trouble making mood? ;-) This could be the start of another
rules vs. guidelines vs. down with all criteria for judgment of any kind!
It depends upon the nature of the exhibit. A repaired pot will always be
less desirable than a whole pot. A repaired pot will not be acceptable in a formal
exhibit. Most exhibits are not so formal, however, so you could use it at your
discretion. If you have a better container, use it. Or if you don't really need
that bonsai in the exhibit, it's probably best to exclude it.
No need for the lamentations of Jeremiah over this one, though. Half the
fun of an exhibit is looking for the flaws and deciding how you might have done it
better. That's the balance for the appreciation of the effort, skill, and creativity
which you admire.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
Craig Cowing wrote:
Some of you may remember that I did a series of displays at a large
meeting of my denomination this past June. One of the trees I displayed
is a cascade yew. I had just put it in a nice square pot that set me
back $60, which is a lot for me. Someone carelessly bumped into it and
knocked it over on the last day, not bothering to even seek me out and
offer to pay for the pot. I don't know who knocked it over.
Anyway, I recovered all the pieces. The way the pot fell, one side was
punched out but the rest of the pot was left intact. I have repaired a number of
pots fairly successfully and did so with this one, but when you look at the damaged
side you can clearly see where the side was taken out.
From the front you'd never know there was any damage. So, I'm wondering if
it's kosher to use such a pot when displaying the tree in an
exhibition, or elsewhere. Your thoughts?
Craig Cowing NY Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++