Old 26-09-2003, 04:33 PM
Neil Jones

Default getting rid of weeds without poisoning my tree

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Robert" wrote in message
: Hi. Has anyone got any suggestions. I bought an apple tree this
: spring and planted it. Unfortunately, there is a large amount of
: dock leave weeds around the base. I would like to get rid of them
: without posoining my tree. Any suggestions would be gratefully
: appreceiated

dig them out with a trowel is the best solution. Docks are not as bad as a
lot of perennial weeds and if you can avoid weedkillers all the better.

I don't understand why it is all the better if one avoids weedkillers.
Roundup has to be absorbed through the leaves and it become innocuous when
it enters the soil.

Franz

Because you have just stated a common myth. It actually depends on the
type of soil and even then you cannot be sure that it is all
"innocuous".
--
Neil Jones- http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn