Old 26-09-2003, 06:33 PM
Rod

Default Chainsaw training

"Graham Anstey" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:53:19 +0100, Nick Upson
wrote:

It what way is it tough on newbies? I'm intending to only do occasional
chainsaw work, not full time every day.

The first time I started or used a chainsaw was on the course. The
felling module did need a lot of concentration, but I passed with
hardly any practise (4 trees) between the course and the exam. What
does help enormously is a basic understanding of how engines work and
a familiarity with power tools. Also having a 'good eye' helps with
getting the cuts right.

One other word of caution - its bl***y hard work physically. Make sure
you pace yourself if you're not used to manual labour of this sort.

This is exactly what I meant. I saw folks on the courses who'd never done any manual work, never started an engine
and hardly ever used tools of any kind. They found it tough, in fact usually didn't pass all the modules or even in
some cases didn't finish the course. It is quite a lot to get through in a week if you're starting from scratch. So
well done!
I think if you ask, some colleges may do a sort of 'pre-professional course' which might fit the bill for some
urglers.

Rod