Old 26-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] using repaired pots

Alan Walker wrote:

Craig: Are you in a trouble making mood? ;-) This could be the start of another
rules vs. guidelines vs. down with all criteria for judgment of any kind!

Why not? This topic hasn't come up much on the list, and I'm curious as to what others
think and do on this topic.

It depends upon the nature of the exhibit. A repaired pot will always be
less desirable than a whole pot. A repaired pot will not be acceptable in a formal
exhibit. Most exhibits are not so formal, however, so you could use it at your
discretion. If you have a better container, use it. Or if you don't really need
that bonsai in the exhibit, it's probably best to exclude it.
snip
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com

Well, I'm not going to be entering it in a formal competition anytime soon, so it's ok
as it is. I think it would be fine in the kind of displays I do, too. Looking at the
front there is no sign of damage.

So, another question along this same line (I'll wake up the list yet!)--do pots reach
the point where repairs or damage make them more desirable, in terms of
wabi/sabi--patina, that sort of thing?

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37