Old 26-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb!!!

The message
from Serendipity contains these words:

I've been given a couple of crowns of rhubarb, and as I've never
grown it before, I'd be obliged for any/all tips from the
expert rhubarbologists amongst you.

How big?

The classic advice is, if it is a whole crown, to discard the middle and
only use the new crowns on the outside.

Dig a deep hole. (I was told four feet deep, but I made it three and
that was more than good enough.)

Get lots of bones, old woollies, leather etc (after a jumble sale is a
good time to pounce) and put the bones, shoes, handbags and armchai.....
oops! etc in first, shovel on some earth, then some woollies, compost
and/or rotted manure, earth, more woollies, earth, compost, etc until
you end up with what the dibble will suspect is where you put the wife.

Plant crown on top and keep well watered.

On no account pull *ANY* sticks during the first year. This is most
important. You will weaken the crown if you do. If you have enough bits
of crown left over you can dig over a bit of ground, add some manure and
plant them there, and pull from those, discarding them after a season.

Next (growth) year, (2005) you will be able to hunt heffalumps in your
rhubarb. After following these instructions, one stick I pulled weighed
just under a pound. And it was in prime condition.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk