Old 26-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Franz Heymann

Default getting rid of weeds without poisoning my tree

"Philip" wrote in message
m...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Robert" wrote in message
: Hi. Has anyone got any suggestions. I bought an apple tree this
: spring and planted it. Unfortunately, there is a large amount of
: dock leave weeds around the base. I would like to get rid of them
: without posoining my tree. Any suggestions would be gratefully
: appreceiated

dig them out with a trowel is the best solution. Docks are not as bad

as a
lot of perennial weeds and if you can avoid weedkillers all the

better.

I don't understand why it is all the better if one avoids weedkillers.
Roundup has to be absorbed through the leaves and it become innocuous

when
it enters the soil.

Franz

Franz

There is a risk we will go seriously off topic here, but what the
heck. How do you know that Roundup is harmless. It could be doing
untold damage to all sorts of levels of the biological chain.

Please list some of the untold damage which can be done to all sorts of
levels of the biological chain, and please do not forget to give the
references to the research which has proved it.

Lets assume the guy has a young tree, surrounded with docks. Whats
that 20 dock plants max.
Lets allow him an hour to dig around the
tree removing the dock plants, (taking care to get them darn long tap
roots out).

And that is precisely where the problem lies. Every dock I have taken out
physically has regrown the following season.

Now he can dig in a little compost at the same time and
he gets a bit of exercise, the tree gets some food, and we dont risk
poisoning anything.

Hey, maybe he can even cancel his gym membership and save money too.

Franz