Old 26-09-2003, 10:06 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Wintering trees

In a message dated 9/26/2003 10:09:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time, writes:

It has very thin leaves and the adult trees limbs sort
of growout and then down like an umbrella effect, very interesting and the
bark is very rough and sort of knobby looking, put it into a 6" deep pot and
it is growning very well, now what is the best way to winter it, as to
wartering it, I know to cover it on freezing nights, but
the wartering thing
I don't have a clue to.

Barb:

This is a deciduous tree, and as such it will not require much water during the winter. I am presuming that you live in a zone where winter freezes occur.

Insert a chopstick into the root pad, and remove it on a daily basis to determine the water content. When the stick is on the dry side, thoroughly rewater. This will serve you well throughout your bonsai experience.

As for storage, bury the potted tree in a deep pile of cedar mulch. Also be certain to place it under protection (particularly given the fact that it was recently dug).

All should be well in the spring.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
The Michael Persiano Bonsai Studio